Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Highly Recommend...


WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU COMPLETELY LOST YOUR HEART TO A BOOK? Well, look no further. Diana Gabaldon has created the ultimate escape in The Outlander. Don't let the 850 pages dissuade you. You wont want to put it down. 

I must admit, the synopsis on the back of this massive book threw me off. I didn't think I would be much interested in a romance novel based on time travel -- it just seemed way too implausible. I said the same thing about "Twilight" and I loved that series too! However, at the persistence of several friends, I gave this novel a try. I am certainly grateful that I did. I am on book 5, "The Fiery Cross".

This is not merely a romance novel. It involves a romance, to be sure, but this romance is not one you'd find again. This is an original romance, which so completely describes love and what it will cost you,  that I found myself better understanding love. It is also filled with adventure, religion, and human conscience. A historical novel rarely has the ability to make me understand things about my own presence, and yet, Outlander simply did. I was unable to put this book down, as captivated as I was by the compelling writing. 

The character development is beyond any I have lately read. Dianna Gabaldon has a true gift for understanding human emotion and translating it for the rest of us to understand. Each book is great in itself, but I highly recommend you start with "Outlander" the first book and work your way through them all. I know the second book:  "Dragonfly in Amber",  is well over 1000 pages, don't let that stop you. I will tell you this, I cried for the people and what they went through. You can really get a feeling of what times were like before our modern conveniences. The love between Clair and Jamie is amazing. What they accomplish is even more amazing!

Hope you take the time to read at least book one. 
F.Y.I. Adult situations...

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Way to go - you should be a book critic - Your book reading runs circles around mine :)

Rebecca said...

this sounds really good jenie!
i need another good series to read... it's been a while. thanks for the suggestion.

Tracy said...

They sound great, maybe someday I will read them. I will have to second Natalie on you becoming a book critic. YOu should set up your own book critic blog! You could call it Rainey's Reads. But seriously you should do it! Have you read The memory keepers daughter? I heard it was good and got it the other day but haven't made it past the first chapter. I hope it gets better. I need to be hooked right away or I can't get into a book. Impatient, I know :)

Danielle and Fam said...

Remember that you are supposed to borrow me all your good books????

Natalie said...

Love the new photos of the kids!!!! Need a new post - girl ;)

Quote

Quote

Quote

A place to share all the fun memories we create as a family.